Friday, May 11, 2018

Homily for 11 May 2018


11 May 2018


Our hope doesn’t come from nowhere.  It comes by the grace of God, and also through the words of the Lord in Scripture.  Today, Jesus says, “So you also are now in anguish.  But I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice.”

“I will see you again,” Jesus says.  Later in the Gospel of John he says, “In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.”  And after the Resurrection, he appears and says, “Peace be with you.”  “Be not afraid; I am with you always until the end of the age.”

It’s lines like that feed our hope.  And so we hold them very close to us.  If someone were to ask, “Why do you silly Christians have hope?”  We’d say very simply, “Jesus gives me hope.  By the grace of God and the words of Jesus, we have hope.”  Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment