Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Homily for 1 May 2018


1 May 2018


God keeps his promises.  We hear it again in the gospel: Jesus says, “I am going away and I will come back to you.”  He says, “I am going to the Father.”  He says, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.”  God makes promises like that, but he also fulfills them.

Of course, it might be a while before a promise is fulfilled.  Our life might take a course we didn’t expect in order for a promise to be fulfilled.  Certainly, the crucifixion took Jesus’ disciples by surprise—even though he warned them a few times that it was going to happen.  But that had to happen in order for his promises to be fulfilled.

God keeps his promises, even if the path to fulfillment is windy and sometimes dark and unknown.  And if we find ourselves on that path, Jesus says, “Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.”  While we’re waiting for the fulfillment of God’s promises, he says, “Be not afraid.”  And he says that because he knows that he himself is trustworthy.

Our challenge is to take God at his word; that he is trustworthy, and that he will bring to fulfillment the many promises he’s given to us.  Jesus says, “Do you love me?  Do you trust me?  Then be not afraid.  I will make good on my promises."

No comments:

Post a Comment