Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Homily for 26 Aug 2015

26 Aug 2015

There’s always a tension, it seems, when we gather to worship God.  We gather as a community.  And we give praise to God through the reality of the community.  And yet, we also gather as worshipping individuals, who each have a personal connection to God.

It’s a “you-and-I” kind of relationship that we have with God.  “Wherever I go, there you are, God.”  That’s the beauty of Psalm 139—the “you-and-I” personal connection between God and each one of us.  “Where can I go from your spirit?  From your presence where can I flee?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I sink to the nether world, you are present there.”

As much as there is “God and the people of God,” there’s even more basically “God and me.”  And, really, the fact that we each have a unique, individual relationship with God is what makes us the people of God.  It’s like a wheel.  If God is the hub, and each of us is a little part of the rim, then our individual relationships with God are like the spokes.  And, together, it all makes a single body, a community of faith.

There’s always a tension, it seems, when we gather to worship God.  We gather as a community.  And yet, if there’s no “Jesus-and-me” going on in the pews, then there’s no “Jesus-and-us;” it’s just . . . us.  We’re a worshipping community because of that beautiful “you-and-I” relationship there is between God and each of us.  We’re a community because we’re each connected to the same hub, to the One and Only God.

“Wherever I go, there you are, God.”  We don’t leave that relationship at the door.  We bring it right in here and share it for our own good, the good of those around us, and for the glory of God. 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment