Thursday, February 15, 2018

Homily for 15 Feb 2018


15 Feb 2018
(School Mass)

Today we get to learn a new vocabulary word.  And the word is “repent.”  We heard it right before the gospel reading when Jesus says, “Repent, the Kingdom of heaven is at hand.”  And we heard it yesterday, too, for Ash Wednesday.  When we got ashes put on our forehead, we heard, “Repent, and believe in the gospel.”  So, it’s an important word for us during Lent.

Now, the word “repent” can have two meanings.  It can mean “to feel sorry” for things that maybe we shouldn’t have done.  Things like: talking in class when we should’ve been listening; or not respecting a classmate, or a teacher or parents.  There are a lot of things we can feel sorry for. 

But Jesus doesn’t tell us to “repent” in order to make us feel bad.  He tells us to “repent” so we remember that we’re supposed to be loving our classmates, and teachers and parents, and everybody else.  People who can feel sorry are people who know how to love others; and they don’t want to hurt others.  So when Jesus tells us to “repent,” he’s reminding us to make sure we have a loving heart, a heart that feels both joy…and sorrow.

Now, the word “repent” has another meaning, too.  It can also mean “to think again,” or “to rethink” something.  For example, when we have a choice, we have to think about it.  If I have a choice to be nice to somebody, or the choice to be disrespectful, I have to think about it.  What am I going to do?  Am I going to be nice, or am I going to disrespectful?  Well, if I make the wrong choice, I have to “rethink” my decision…I have to “repent.”  I have to change my mind about what I’m doing.

So the word “repent” is very important for us, especially during Lent.  It means “to feel sorry” and “to rethink” the decisions we make so can make better ones in the future.  Ultimately, it means to be a more loving, wise person.  It means to be like Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment