Monday, July 6, 2015

Homily for 6 Jul 2015

6 Jul 2015

There’s no need to be afraid of Jesus.  There’s no need to be hesitant in seeking his help.  That’s what Jesus seems to say to the hemorrhaging woman: “Courage, daughter, your faith has saved you.”  “Courage!”

Jesus is one of us and he’s very approachable.  We sometimes can forget that.  As much as he is the Son of God, he isn’t untouchable.  Just like Jacob’s dream, God is not standing up at the top of the stairway to heaven; he’s standing right there beside Jacob, at the bottom. 

Maybe the woman was afraid to get too personal with Jesus because she didn’t know what would happen.  And in Jacob’s dream, he doesn’t seem to make any attempt to go up that stairway to heaven.  As much as he loved God, maybe he didn’t want to see where exactly that stairway would go.  Maybe.  Maybe not.

Either way, God says to the woman, to Jacob, and to us: “Courage!  Don’t settle for just a touch of the tassel on my garment from behind.  Stand up and talk to me, face to face.  Trust me, my son, my daughter.” 

It’s true that such a personal encounter with our Lord might give us more than we bargained for.  But, take courage!  That something “more” may be the stairway to heaven; it might be the life and the happiness that perhaps you’d given up on.  Who knows what such a personal encounter with Jesus might lead to.  But whatever it is, it’ll be good.

So, take courage!  Stand up and look him in the eye and say: “In you, my God, I place my trust.”  Take courage, and see where your faith takes you.    

No comments:

Post a Comment