Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Homily for 7 May 2015

7 May 2015

The word “if” is such a little word.  And yet, it’s so important.  “If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love,” Jesus says.  If we keep his commandments; that is, the choice is up to us. 

We already know what the Lord’s choice is with regard to his love and commitment to us.  He said, “I have told you this so that your joy might be complete.”  He’s already chosen to do what’s best for us.  And he’s already shown how much he loves us.  We need only hear the words of Scripture and taste the Eucharist to remember the extent of God’s fidelity and love for us. 

God’s choice was definitive, made once and for all.  There’s no debate in the mind of God whether or not he’s going to love us and everybody else who desires to love him.  There is no question, there is no “if” in God’s heart about that.  But, of course, there is in the heart of humanity.

Even for us who have chosen to do the best we can at keeping God’s commandments and remaining true to God, we can always be better at it.  Every morning we’re faced with the question: “Am I going to love God today?  Am I going to try to see and hear and think and live as God lives today?” 


And we remember the Lord asking Peter three times: “Do you love me?”  He asks us the same thing again and again.  “Do you love me?  Do you love me enough to keep my commandments?  Will you let me be your joy?”  

No comments:

Post a Comment